- Gretzky is the only player to reach 200 points in a season. He did it 4 times in 5 years between the 1981-82 and 1985-86 seasons maxing out at 215.
- Gretzky was also a talented track star and a baseball player. In 1971 the 10-year-old athlete said: "If I couldn't play hockey I'd like to play baseball with the Oakland Athletics and Vida Blue." Turned out he could swing the lumber.
- In 1983-84, Gretzky set a record with a 51 game point scoring streak. During that streak, he had 61 goals and 92 assists for 153 points. That is exactly three points a game. That is amazing considering that he had a separated shoulder for much of that streak. After that streak ended, he took 6 games off to rest his shoulder.
- Gretzky was born and raised in Brantford, Ontario. Gretzky honed his skills on their backyard rink and his dad Walter would coach and set up drills for him.
- Bobby Orr is one of the greatest players in NHL history. In Gretzky’s second season, he broke Orr’s record for most assists in one season (102) with 109. Gretzky did not have fewer than 102 assists until the 1991-92 season.
Gretzky found his number
99 with the Soo Greyhounds
- He won nine Hart Trophies, the NHL's most valuable player award, and eight of these were awarded in consecutive years from 1980-1987. In fact, Gretzky holds the record for most MVP awards of any player in American professional sports.
- Gretzky married American actress Janet Jones in 1988, They have 5 children: Paulina, Ty, Trevor, Tristan, and Emma.
- When he was 13, Gretzky was already a national icon and was interviewed by CBC, pretty crazy to hear his voice in 1974.
- In his second season, he broke the NHL record for most points (152) held by super star Phil Esposito with 164. In doing so, he also became the first player to average more than two points a game in the modern NHL. Mario Lemieux is the only other player in the NHL to do that.
- Gretzky has a star on the Canadian Walk of Fame.
- In 1989, he broke Gordie Howe’s record for most points in a career. It took Howe 26 years to get 1850 points. It took Gretzky only 10. Gretzky averaged over 180 points a season for those 10 years. His average was better than anyone else’s best (except for Mario Lemieux. Lemieux achieved over 180 points once in his career).
- Gretzky won the NHL Plus/Minus Award (best plus-minus rating) -1982, 1984, 1985, 1987.
- Gretzky was on the NHL First All-Star Team-1981, 1982, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1986, 1987, 1991.
- Gretzky's jersey number 99 is retired league-wide by the NHL.
- Gretzky is the youngest player to score 50 goals in a season (19 years, two months)
- Gretzky won the Art Ross Trophy (scoring champion) — 1981–87, 1990, 1991, and 1994.
- Gretzky hosted Saturday Night live in 1989. This re-inforced the notion among the public that he had better not quit his day job to pursue an acting career.
Gretzky promised Mess
he wouldn't do this
- The best Wayne Gretzky quote - "100% of the shots you don't take, don't go in."
- Gretzky has scored the magical 50 goals in 50 games or less three times in his career, more than anyone else. Brett Hull did it twice.
- Gretzky was inducted into the Hockey Hall of Fame on November 22, 1999.
- Since Wayne Gretzky’s retirement, two of his records have fallen (15 regular season overtime assist now held by Mark Messier with 18 and 12 All-Star Game assists now held by Joe Sakic with 16) and he has gained one record, leaving him with a new total of 60 official records.
- Gretzky won 4 Stanley Cups in 1984, 1985, 1987 and 1988.
- Wayne Gretzky finished his career with a 1.921 points per game average. Only Mario Lemieux, then retired, had a better points per game average at that time. Lemieux since came out of retirement in 2000 and played until the 2005–06 NHL season. Lemieux's points per game average has dropped to 1.883 before retiring once again midway through the 2005–06 season. This gives the record back to Gretzky.
- Gretzky won the Lady Byng Memorial Trophy (most gentlemanly player) -1980, 1991, 1992, 1994, 1999.
- Gretzky played on four different NHL teams over a 20 year period: the Edmonton Oilers, the Los Angeles Kings, the St. Louis Blues, and the New York Rangers.
- Gretzky has the record for most points in the playoffs, career: 382 -- 122 goals and 260 assists.
- During the 1994-95 lockout, Wayne Gretzky gathered some friends to tour Europe as the Ninety Nine All Stars.
- Wayne has the highest goals-per-game average in one season: 1.18 in 1983–84, 87 goals in 74 games.
- Gretzky has the most regular season goals with 894 in 1,487 games.
- Gretzky has the record for most goals in one season, including playoffs with 100, in 1983–84, 87 goals in 74 regular season games and 13 goals in 19 playoff games.
- Gretzky became known for setting up behind the net, an area that was nicknamed "Gretzky's office" because of his skills there.
- If you took away all of Gretzky’s goals, he would have still won the Art Ross Trophy for leading scorer four times and would still have more career points than anyone else. His 1963 career assists are better than Gordie Howe’s 1850 and Mark Messier’s 1887 points.
Wayne Gretzky is forever
immortalized in Edmonton
- In 1487 NHL games. Wayne Gretzky amassed 2857 points.
What is your favourite Wayne Gretzky moment?