- Numerous accounts of Dave ripping his jeans
- The time some girls came over through the back door and we ran to hide the replica Stanley Cup
- The MHL All-Star Game, which included: “fastest knee run”,"accuracy shooting" and a “hardest shot” skills competition
- Dave breaking the Stanley Cup with a tomahawk throw after a loss
- The numerous times a stick would break and pieces would almost take an eye out
- The time we introduced shots on goal as a category and someone who wasn't playing would be the designated statistician
- The Playboy Channel on in the background of games
Eventually the league expanded, with a hard shooting righty named Justin joining the MHL. This would only add to the storylines and memories on Friday nights, with Justin bringing a shot never before seen to our basement arena. I can only imagine how goalies felt when Bobby Hull started using a hook on his stick. Justin could make a small foam ball sting off your forehead. With the expansion, the league thrived and every second of every game was intense down to the final buzzer of the kitchen timer we used.
Over the weeks, the league experienced some set backs. The basement was resurfaced for a softer carpet, which temporarily lead to a new rival league being formed in Justin’s basement, the EHL, or European Hockey League. With bigger nets and a smaller playing surface, the new league emphasized skill and finesse, as offence skyrocketed. Another setback came from players no-showing because of prior engagements (girlfriends FTW), and probably the biggest factor, binge drinking on Friday nights. The fun of MHL couldn’t last forever. Parties became the norm, and the arena basement was left in the dark. I feel the same about this basement as I do for
. The league folded, the trophy got lost and destroyed, and the players moved on. It was like the WHA. Maple Leaf Gardens
There was talk of a MHL Legends game a few years back, but that fell through. The commissioner tried, but the league remains defunct. Occasionally, during a predrink, we’ll still pick up the miniature plastic twigs, and have a few games. Mini sticks is just one of those games that will never get old.