We asked around after the game if anyone knew about, or why the exchange happened. Our guess was it was for his 600th win, and Jonas Siegel from Eat. Sleep. Leafs confirmed it was the age-old hockey tradition of putting a bounty on the game to motivate teammates.
@Leafaholic99 posted this picture shortly after the game, but here's a higher quality picture off Puck Daddy so you can see the money better.
We still aren't convinced it was Wilson's bounty money. Here are some theories as to why Francois Beauchemin gave Wilson a wad of cash:
- Beauchemin bet him he'd lose the game for him (silly we know, but he did do this during the game).
- Beauchemin was giving money for Wilson to buy sodas for the team
- The worst player after every game has to pay the coach. Beauchemin is now almost bankrupt. Brett Lebda would be in the red, but he's only played half the games.
- Money for James Reimer's stripper in the dressing room
- Wilson had bounty money on Marleau's head, Beauchemin failed.
- Ron Wilson constantly hustles players playing poker on plane rides
- Beauchemin has to pay Ron Wilson every time he makes him yell "What the F*** Francois!!!"
- Beauchemin has to pay $100 for every giveaway.
- Beauchemin pays for his playing time
- The Leafs are involved in money laundering and Beauchemin was collecting off Joe Thornton and Dany Heatley
- $600 for 600 wins.
- For some strange reason, Beauchemin and Wilson are roommates and Beauchemin racked up a huge TV bill ordering Quebecois porn (Hotel sources say "Quebec Perversity 4").
- The Leafs are pooling money to get Tim Hunter a nose job
Like this Leaf Post? You might like these others:
The Former Toronto Maple Leafs Hockey Team
Maple Leafs Black Ops
(Maple Leafs) Love to Hear the Boo's